08/04/07 WOW... Where has the time gone. Looking back I see that this webpage is over 5 months out-of-date and in need of some serious updates.

First, we are in the middle of a debate of sorts. The Aptasias and now green hair algae are taking over at an alarming rate. I've started a thread on Reef Central to see if people smarter than me have any ideas to get this under control. The current thought is to tear all the rock and corals out to start over. Pretty much would destroy some of the large corals we have in place now.
03/03/07 Pulled the Anthias out of quarantine early. I know it's somewhat risky, but they were not progressing on the various foods I had tried. We talked to Paul and he mentioned that the other group of Anthias in the same coral cube at the store adapted faster watching the other fish go after the food introduced into the display tanks. The white cheek Tang has been all over the new Anthias. There was a very cool moment where the cleaner shrimp hovered over the biggest Anthias for a few minutes. Updates to follow on whether pulling from QT early was a good idea or not...

Modified the Kalk reactor routine to shorten the dispense time. The sump is gradually building it's water level so we need to throttle back a little. Here is the latest code set;

If Time > 23:00 Then STR ON
If Time > 23:02 Then STR OFF
If Time > 00:00 Then KLK ON
If Time > 02:00 Then KLK OFF
If Time > 03:00 Then KLK ON
If Time > 05:00 Then STR ON
If Time > 05:02 Then STR OFF
If Time > 08:00 Then KLK OFF
If Time > 09:00 Then KLK ON
If Time > 11:00 Then KLK OFF
If FeedD 000 Then STR ON
If Timer STR = ON Then KLK OFF
If pH > 08.35 Then KLK OFF
Max Change 060 M Then KLK OFF
If Time > 13:00 Then H2O ON
If Time > 16:00 Then H2O OFF

02/26/07 Topped off the sump so we are back at 100% water level for the system. Turned the Kalk reactor routine back on via the AC3 so it can start dripping. When the reactor was running before, our pH was a solid 8.35 with only a 0.15 fluctuation. Unfortunately, we were building water level so I've changed the routine to only drip kalk at night. We will see how it does over the next few days and adjust accordingly.

Here is the full top-off routine:

If Time > 22:00 Then STR ON
If Time > 22:02 Then STR OFF
If Time > 23:00 Then KLK ON
If Time > 05:00 Then STR ON
If Time > 05:02 Then STR OFF
If Time > 12:00 Then KLK OFF
If FeedD 000 Then STR ON
If Timer STR = ON Then KLK OFF
If pH > 08.35 Then KLK OFF
Max Change 060 M Then KLK OFF
If Time > 13:00 Then H2O ON
If Time > 15:00 Then H2O OFF

The Anthias look great, but they won't eat. I've tried sinking pellets, mysis shrimp, and garlic soaked brine. They just aren't intersted. I'll need to come up with something soon. They don't look stressed and their colors are great.

02/25/07 The tank looks good after the cleaning. Strangely enough, the pH didn't dip as hard last night before the cleaning. I loaded the water change and got the sump level almost back to where it belongs. Another batch of water will be needed to get everything back where it needs to be.

I picked up three Bartlett Anthias today and loaded them into the quarantine tank. They were eating at the store, but I couldn't get them to take anything tonight. I'll try again in the morning and tomorrow evening.
02/24/07 Major cleaning today! The pulsing Xenia had taken over the back wall of the tank and needed a major pruning. I setup a siphon with an old gravel cleaning nozzle and started scraping the Xenia from the back wall while sucking them up. It worked pretty well, but some of the stalks were too thick to get through the tubing so I had to clean the tube repeatedly.

The sump and fuge area have developed a life form of their own. I shutdown the return and everything but the closed loop. After a bit, I pulled the sump and fuge out from under the stand. A few hours later, everything was scraped and hosed out. Luckily, everything went back together easily but we were short on water. A quick addition from the fresh salt water batch and we everything was up and running.

When cleaning everything, I noticed that the primary chamber of our Ca Reactor was getting pretty low so we headed down to see Paul at Rocky Mountain Reef to pickup a tub of GenX media. I like the larger forms of the GenX media because it gives us better water flow in the first chamber. Our MRC CR-2 reactor has a second chamber that we load with ARM media. IMHO, it gives the best of both worlds and we've had great results with the combination.

While we were at RMRA, we noticed that they had some great looking Bartlett Anthias. With all the maintenance in the morning and water changes, we didn't have the quarantine tank setup, so we decided to wait on the fish. After we got home, I setup the QT so we can run back down Sunday for the Anthias if we decided to.
02/23/07 It's hard to believe the new tank has been setup for over 20 months and we still don't have the new website setup. So here we go... I'll start the journal and website tonight and see where it gets us.